Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Otter Who Makes Snow Cones (or so we wish)

I knew I would draw you in with that title! I will tell you more about the otter later.
I am always hesitant to accept Blog invitations where it states "bring your children." I say this not because I have Bebe's kids but because I am the Kool Aid mom (this time I am not referring to my tummy) which translates as I always have  kids other than my own. Like wolves, I travel in a pack. The pack includes my three cubs and my niece and whoever I may be babysitting that day. After all, I drive the Toyota Land Cruiser and what is the point of having one if I can't pack it up?

Last week our pack went to Aquarium of The Pacific. It was a mommy blogging invitation and how could I say no? In our pack that day was the Ramirez children (mine), Luna and her mom (the nerve of her tagging along! Just kidding seester, glad to have you with me anytime) and Sarah's sons who we had not seen all summer.




Let me start by saying that my son LOVES this place. He wants to bring the otter home because it makes snow balls. We have this idea of marketing an otter who makes snowcones to sell in the neighborhood. We just have to convince Chuy to put a pool in the back for the otter to live in.

Back to Aquarium of the Pacific.  Everyone knows about the sea life and the sea creatures.  Here are 4 things you may not have known that we discovered on this trip:

1.  We met Sitka, a 3 year old Arctic Fox.  We wondered if he missed the snow or was he happy to be soaking up the sun in Long Beach.  Either way, he is adorable and he is located by the Lorikeet Forest.


2.  Bring paper and crayons (if not, they will provide for you).  I never paid attention to the tiles on the floor that display various sea creatures.  You can take home your favorite images by placing a piece of paper and rubbing with a crayon. Voila! Image of the Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker to go!












3.  The Ocean Science Center features this huge globe which serves as a screen.  We watched a film on the Port of Los Angeles and the Port of Long Beach which the kids recognized.  "That's where tio Roberto works!"

4.  Every now and then if you look carefully, you will spot the homosapien in the tank!  This was the sea creature that excited the kids the most.



Last but not least, please be aware of all the special programs Aquarium of the Pacific has for the families. In September there are three events to put on your calendar:

1. Shark Lagoon Nights (September 9-December 30  6-9 p.m.)
2. Moompetam Native American Festival (September 17-18  9 a.m.-5 p.m.)
3. Baja Splash Cultural Festival - 10th Anniversary (September 24-25  9 a.m.-5 p.m.)


Disclosure:  I was not compensated to write this article but I was invited and I believe any place that is child friendly needs to be shouted from the mountain top!  GO TO THE AQUARIUM OF THE PACIFIC

No comments:

Post a Comment