Sunday, December 26, 2010

Teena Marie & Venice High

It was 1981, my first year in high school (ayy, so long ago) when I was introduced to Teena Marie. The song was "Square Biz." As we would say back in the day, "that was my jam!"

Growing up in a strict Latino home who also happened to be 7th Day Adventist didn't leave a lot of going to parties and football games. It did leave me in my room listening to the radio. While the music played behind closed doors, I danced, I let the music take me away and Teena Marie's "Square Biz" was one of them (including Gap Band, Lakeside and other R&B groups).

The other fact on Teena Marie that we took pride in was that she was an alumni of Venice High School. We walked the halls that she walked. Did she sing in the bathrooms? Did she also have some of these same teachers? Did she kick it on the front lawn like we did?

Thank you Teena Marie for blessing the Universe with your music, your voice. You will not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment