Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Caught In The Mom-ent


Child.....Every time I went to the store with my grays (and I am not talking about my clothes) I chanted the same prayer "Please don't let me run into somebody I know, please don't let me run into somebody I know." It had been over 5 months since I died those suckers, it had also been that long since I waxed my eyebrows and upper lip. Now I love me some Frida Kahlo but I wasn't trying to look like her. Why was I torturing myself not to mention my husband like this? (side note: he swears he doesn't care but come on.....) I finally went to see Diane at Fairy Nails who waxed my mustache off and reshaped my brows. FABULOUS and I went to see Craig at Floyds 99 in Mar Vista who kicked my hair into shape with some color and shine. I LOVE HIM. Besides the price being great, Craig is great with conversation and just makes you feel oh so lovely at the end. I walked out of that shop with my shoulders popped back, attitude in my stride with the song "Staying Alive" going through my head. I was back...

With me no longer working for a salary (Don't get it twisted because I still work. I just don't get paid for raising babies) it puts things like pedicures, salon visits, cafe lattes on the bottom of the list. I keep busy with the car pool mom, homework mom, girl scout mom, clean house, make dinner and wash dishes mom not to mention trying to be a wife. This is what I refer to getting caught in the mom-ent. Not moment but mom-ent. As all you mothers out there know, the majority of us put ourselves last. We find ourselves in that mom uniform (jeans, hoodie, sneakers and a ponytail) and forget who we are as women. We don't look for the piece of zen, the calm to your soul, the slow breath of bliss. It's not that we ignore it but we just keep moving and forget, we are caught in the mom-ent. Which leads to resolution number two....

For the new year, I will make time for me, myself and I. I will not go that long again without taking care of myself. I will always use lotion so I don't leave the house all ashy. I will get together with my girlfriends for a meal and or drink because they also are mothers. To take these moments is not being selfish but giving us that moment to breathe so we don't find ourselves crying hysterically in the shower or in the kitchen wondering what is happening to our lives. I plan to continue to blog more frequently, laugh a little bit more, take naps and not feel guilty yet still be a wife to my husband and a mama to my children. I also plan to....(here goes resolution number 3) go the gym and get rid of those "lonjitas" aka love handles. I don't want to be a big, squishy mama (as Maite calls me) anymore. But that story is for another time....

But meanwhile...I once again call out to all mothers, don't forget you are also beautiful women. Call your girlfriends for your own "play date." Go have a meal, go the gym or the movies and have a grown up conversation. Know that your children will be fine those few hours you are gone and your spirit will be renewed. You will find a pep in your step and a smile on your face. Go for it!

1 comment:

  1. Girl, this should be the x-mas card to all men! Next blog topic...Waxing Negligence...I would get LIFE w/o PAROLE...I would comment, but let's keep this rated G. :)

    ReplyDelete