Saturday, September 12, 2009

Mom, that CD is broken.....

I love music. Just ask my mom. In high school and college, I spent a good percentage of my money on vinyl, and later CD's. I also worked in the music industry for over 12 years and CD swapped with various labels. Needless to say, I LOVE MUSIC.

There are certain songs you hear for the first time and you know it will be on your favorite list forever. You might hear it on the radio like the first time I heard Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me." In my single days, I would fall asleep listening to the radio, sometimes the songs would meld into my dreams and I would awake asking myself if that song exists? Well it took me a few weeks to hear it again and learn that it was Bonnie Raitt. It was so perfect at the time because I really liked someone that was not meant to be (which was better in the long run).

I have also found music through movies. I love the Guy Ritchie films because he uses really good music throughout his films. If you have ever seen the movie "My Life Without Me" you will be introduced to some great music. I saw the movie over 1-2 years ago and there is a scene with Mark Ruffalo and Sarah Polley in the laundromat. As he sits on the chair and watches her sleep a song is playing in the background. It was this song that I was determined to find who sang it and where I could buy it. Well the credits rolled too fast on cable and I never found it until last week. I recorded the movie on the DVR and rolled the credits to figure out the name of the song and the artist. Zoom to the present, two years later. The album is titled "Come From Heaven" by Alpha.

Excited by my Amazon purchase, I asked the girls if they wanted to hear it and we ran to my room. Yes, I still run on occasion. It was short distance. As the song started, both girls wrinkled their noses and Maia said to me" Mom, that CD is no good, it has scratchy sounds." I explained to them that it was part of the song and that you hear that noise when you play a vinyl record. Well I realized, my children don't know vinyl records. We do have a record player but Maite busted the needle when she was 2 years old and we never replaced it. Caramba! With technology moving so fast, they haven't experienced the joy of listening to an album on vinyl.
Needless to say, I have told Chuy we need to buy a needle and play some great albums for them.

I still have a pretty good collection of 45's (Brenton Wood, Gap Band and Motown artists) and an album collection of soul and jazz artists. Music is much richer than digital and it's the scratchy imperfections that make it perfect. It's this world that I look forward to introducing them to. Chuy, get to Guitar Center and get that needle!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, vinyl. Our kids will never know the pleasures of fully sized album cover art - or liner notes that you can read without glasses. Then again, I don't miss those popping noises (I was pretty hard on my records when I was a kid).

    ReplyDelete