Saturday, August 29, 2009

La Super Nanny came a knockin.....

I decided to take the kids to the LBC to meet their primos for a playdate. All was going well in the park until Maia thought it might be fun to pour sand down the slide. Let me include that my soon to be 2 year old son and neice were on the slide as well as two other children. From where I was sitting, I jumped up and started yelling "Maia" at the top of my lungs. Did she hear me....NO!

I ran over and pulled her to the side and start yelling "What the heck! Who told you it was a good idea to put sand down the slide? Que no ves que hay otro ninos, no piensas? It was when I switched to Spanish that the mother of the two other children came and got her kids and scooted away. Was I embarrassed? A little. Did I stop? Heck no.

I was in the middle of my sermon of using common sense when I was interrupted by some woman with a clipboard. "Excuse me, are you familiar with the show Super Nanny?' What? Oh yeah, I watch the show. (This is when Maia made her escape) She then asked me if I would consider trying out for the show and that if I was chosen I would be paid for having the SuperNanny in my home for one week. For one quick second I considered it until I realized my home would be on tv and damn, I am trying to pull the carpet out of the living room. Also, the camera makes you look heavier and God knows I don't need that.

Needless to say, I politely said no thank you and that my husband would never agree to it. What I really wanted to say was "Girl, don't interrupt me when my Spanish is flowing (because it's when I am angry that I speak Spanish without stuttering)

When I walked back to the blanket my sister in laws were cracking up. They also thought the woman was bold to interrupt a scolding. She was not a mama. If she were, she would never have done that. We give each other the respect and wait until they are finished.

Lesson learned: Don't yell at my kids in public. Do what my mom did. Shoot the kids a crazy look and make the hand gesture of "pau pau" or "ya veras when we get home."

No comments:

Post a Comment